Friday, June 1, 2012

Share Your Talents With Your Stepkids


There are things that are unique to you and that you have interests and talents in that you can share to bless your stepkids lives and build a bridge with them. Maybe there is a sport you are especially good at, or you know how to sew or knit, or paint. Sharing your talents is a great way to build a bridge with your stepkids. Kids love adults who are interested in doing things with them, especially new things. Sometimes building a bridge with a kid is as easy as just spending time with them.

As I have been working on my photography skills, my stepdaughter has taken a lot of interest and she says, "You're a good Sa-tographer." I love that there are still a couple of words she hasn't quite mastered in her constantly expanding vocabulary. She cracks me up.

So a few weeks ago I gave her my oldest digital camera with a clean SD card inside. She was ecstatic. She immediately went to town taking pictures. And later on her dad and I were astounded at the photos she took, when she shared them with us at dinner. She has a talent for framing photos.

We inadvertently uncovered one of her talents. Now she has taken a few hundred photos and is a "sa-tograher" herself. Her camera is one of her greatest joys. And all it took was gifting her an old camera and a 30 second lesson to get her on her way. It gave me yet another chance to show her I care, that I'll take time with her, and that I'll appreciate her talents. What a gift that is to me and to her.

What talents do you have that your step kids would enjoy? If you've been doing this for a while, share your experiences. How has it changed your relationships?

all images by the sweet stepdaughter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation and inspiring others!