Thursday, September 26, 2013

Our Parenting History: Pictures Do Speak 1000 Words

image via

Last weekend I was going through my photo files working on a project. I ended up just flipping through several years of photos, all encompassing the time since I met my husband and stepdaughter. It was amazing to see how tiny she was back then and file by file see her grow and change. My heart started to beat faster and faster as I remembered all the wonderful days we've had together, the rough times we've gotten through and the joy and love we share in our family.

When I closed the last file I had the overwhelming urge to find someone to high five or chest bump with! I was so pleased to see through our family photos something that it would be hard to say. I saw success, I saw two people who have given their all for this little person -- a little person who is growing into a lovely, smart, caring young woman.

I just wanted to shout, "Damn we did good!" It was a good moment. It gave me courage to continue on, even at the end of a very long, tiring day. We still have quite a few years to go before she's out on her own, making her way. I hope then we'll be able to look back again and think "Damn, we did good."

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. It's amazing isn't it. I'm a stepdad, and I've been in my stepdaughter's life since she was 3. She's 12 now. She doesn't remember a time before me, and while my wife and I have two other biological children of our own, my SD doesn't feel any different to me than my bio kids. As she gets older, she takes on more of my traits too, so even though I'm not biologically related, she takes a whole lot after me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Supersahd for your awesome comment. Great job taking your SD under your wing so opening. I have had very much the same experience. Our little one doesn't remember life w/out me in it. Everyone says she looks more like me than her dad. It's fun to be able to teach her my hobbies and ideas about being kind and gracious. I'm secretly hoping she'll be tall like me, heehee.

      Delete

Thanks for joining the conversation and inspiring others!