Thursday, August 23, 2012

It Goes Quickly So Enjoy Every Moment

image via

Yesterday I knew it was time to go through the Little One's closet and drawers and pull out all the clothes and shoes that don't fit anymore. It's a task I have to do every few months. This time it was particularly emotional when I pulled out the last of the clothes we bought her a couple of years ago. Clothes she first wore when she was transitioning from tiny toddler girl clothes into legitimate big girl clothes a couple sizes too big. Some of her, my and her Dad's all time favorites.

The little white shirt with the blue embroidery down the front that she wore to the 4th of July parade two years ago. We have the most darling photo of her standing on her aunt's lap, clapping her hands, with her hair in two braids trimmed in red, white and blue ribbons.

The light pink shirt with all the red, purple and fuchsia flowers all over it is going too. This was a shirt that would go with anything and she has worn with so many different pants, skirts and shorts over the years. She mentioned a few weeks ago how sad she was to see that one go.

The white tee shirt with the appliqued fish in the fishbowl is too short for her now. She's a tall girl. That was one of her favorites too. Awww, sad to see it go.

Saying goodbye to all those clothes really just represents saying goodbye to sweet days we'll never get back. She's not a little girl anymore. She's getting taller all the time. She can read to herself. She can dress herself, shower herself...so many things she used to need her dad and me desperately for. As much as I enjoy having more free time, I miss her needing us so much. Not that she doesn't still need us, but it's different now and it will keep changing.

We'll never have that little speed demon who Daddy had to run after at full speed when she would take off down the sidewalk, across the park or towards the road. I won't be able to pick her up for much longer. All this reminds me to enjoy every day, they go so fast and you never get them back. And it inspires me to enjoy every day to come because I know I will look back on them with deep love and joy down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation and inspiring others!